Wednesday, July 21, 2010

English class for a non native speaker

I was born and raised in Democratic Republic of Congo, move to the United States five years ago.
For those who don't know where or what the Congo is, The Democratic Republic of Congo is the third largest country on the African continent. It has a population of more than sixty five million souls divided in more or less two hundred different tribes. It is one of the most potentially rich countries on hearth potentially, but paradox ally figures between the poorest on the globe. The official language of the land is French- a heritage of the Belgian colonization-follow by four national languages that are spoke in different part of the country.



I spoke French for all the years spent in school there. I was first introduced to English through Michael Jackson Music and became and became a fan, not only of his music but also of his language. I took classes in high school and tried to translate his songs through the years.
It turned out to be very helpful when I came in the United States.
I never took English as second language classes; however I have always done ok with my English classes.
Last semester I took a world literature class and I had a B in it. It was very challenging because I was always a little apprehensive about writing in English especially knowing that many people would end up reading it.
I must admit that it has been a stumbling block on my road to a better writing.
Now I decided to let go of my fears and get the most out of this class.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you have taken an interest in the English language and I'm ecstatic that you're a Michael Jackson fan!

    ReplyDelete